Digitalization is present across different industries, including the power system via the introduction of the smart grid technologies and the automation of power facilities. Digitalization in power facilities assumes the usage of new technologies that enable the implementation of fully digital automation and control systems. Such fully digital facilities are also known as digital substations in which all information is exchanged over a process communications network based on Ethernet technology and IEC 61850 standards. The digitalization and introduction of IT technologies on all levels in the power system leads to a renewed emphasis on both cyber security and other aspects of system security and management. Additionally, digitalization presents new opportunities and challenges in the engineering and testing of such facilities and requires the development and implementation of new solutions and tools.
Workshop participants will be introduced to the following topics:
- digital substation concept
- overview of relevant standards
- time synchronization in digital substations
- data types according to the IEC 61850 standard
- functional testing of the protection, automation and control systems in digital substations based on the IEC 61850 applications
- cyber security in digital substations
The workshop will contain presentations accompanied by practical examples, and simulations of real cases on the testing equipment with advanced testing capabilities.